Organic Certified Cosmetics
We see the words “organic & natural” thrown around a lot these days. But what does it mean to be truly organic?
The recent interest in natural ingredients in cosmetics has led to an emergence on the market of products that are natural in name only (less than 5% natural ingredient contents).
Established in 2003, Ecocert was the very first certification body to develop standards for “natural and organic cosmetics”. The products certified “ECOCERT” use natural raw materials as plant oils, fats and waxes, herbal extracts and essential oils from certified organic farming.
To ensure an environmentally friendly cosmetic product, the “ECOCERT” standard lays down:
1. The use of ingredients derived from renewable resources, manufactured by environmentally friendly processes. “ECOCERT” therefore checks:
THE NO NO LIST:
- No GMO
- No parabens
- No phenoxyethanol
- No nanoparticles
- No silicon
- No PEG
- No synthetic perfumes and dyes
- No animal-derived ingredients (unless naturally produced by them: milk, honey, etc.)
- No animal testing
“ECOCERT” is also checking the biodegradable or recyclable nature of packaging.
2. A minimum threshold of natural ingredients from organic farming to be reached to obtain certification:
- For both labels, Ecocert Standard imposes that a minimum of 95% of the total ingredients come from natural origin.
- For the natural and organic cosmetic label:
A minimum of 95% of all plant-based ingredients in the formula and a minimum of 10% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic farming.
For the natural cosmetic label:
A minimum of 50% of all plant-based ingredients in the formula and a minimum of 5% of all ingredients by weight must come from organic farming.
/!\: Some ingredients very frequently found in cosmetics (water, salts, minerals) cannot be certified as organic because they are not sourced from farming. For example, shampoos and some creams, mostly composed of water, contain between 10% and 40% organic ingredients, and always 95% natural ingredients. An essential oil, which does not contain water, can be up to 100% organic ingredients.
Particular attention and inspection is given to:
- Plant ingredients concentration and origin
- Animal testing and animal protection
- Mineral ingredients
- Unacceptable and restricted ingredients
- Unacceptable production method
- Genetic engineering (GMO)
- Ecological Impact
- Social awareness
Why Choose Organic Certified Cosmetics / Beauty Products?
- Certified quality and purity of ingredients by an independent organization dedicated to the interests of the consumer.
- Certified vitality of plant extracts ensuring safety, cleanliness, and potency.
- Ecological friendliness that contributes to a sustainable agriculture.
- Certified means authenticity and integrity of claims being organic and natural.
- No use of man-made toxic chemicals as in conventional agriculture.
Only internationally recognized third-party certification can verify that a product is organic – all other claims cannot be verified.
IKOVE – Organic Skin & Hair Care Line in the UAE
We invite you to explore our organic cosmetic brand IKOVE which is ECCOCERT and Fairtrade certified, and packed with all those Amazonian remarkable ingredients.
Please see below few of the international endorsements of this marvelous brand: