Sometimes I cannot plan meals ahead of time and I forget completely if I do or I don’t have certain ingredients in the pantry or in the fridge. For this simple but flavorful dish I used what I could gather then and there. I love putting recipes together with what I have in the pantry at a certain moment. After cooking it, I thought how versatile it is if you have the basics, by adding minced meat or chicken, or sausage or mushrooms, or rice…
At the same time it is summer, a merciless summer here where at the time I cooked this recipe, I endured a 50 degrees Celsius pushing through the large windows of my kitchen. Baking at this temperature wasn’t a pleasure but it was worth all the perspiration.
Give this awesome recipe a try and let me know how it all tuned out. If you had made it and improved the recipe, let me know. I am always happy to share your thoughts on my recipes.
- 6 palm sized eggplants
- 1 big onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1 egg
- 1 handful of fresh parsley or dill
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup chopped black pitted olives
- Salt & Pepper
- ½ tsp roasted paprika
- A pinch each ground cumin, coriander, turmeric
- Preheat your oven at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Wash the eggplants and keep them aside.
- Chop finely the onion, garlic, parsley/dill and olives and set aside.
- Cut the eggplants in half and living about half a centimeter from the purple skin, scoop out the eggplant’s flesh with a tablespoon. They should look like boat bottoms. (see in the photo above). Brush each boat generously with olive oil. This step is essential to start the vegetable baking the in oven.
- For the filling, chop the eggplants cores finely and add them to a bowl. Add all the other ingredients, except the olive oil and the cherry tomatoes and mix them gently. Whisk the egg and incorporate it with the filling.
- Brush your oven tray with olive oil and arrange the eggplant halves in it. Carefully fill them with the filling until you have little mountains rising from the eggplants. (photo above)
- Wash and cut in halve the cherry tomatoes and decorate the eggplants.
- Put the tray in the oven and bake for 50 min – 1 hour.
- Remove, and serve immediately with your favorite bread or rice.
- Top with fresh cream for a delish flavour!
If you do make this recipe, please do not forget to tag #thelittlebigchange on Instagram and/or leave a comment below on the blog post.