You may think… Raw beets? Really? We may all be used to the boiled, roasted or pickled version of this super veggie, but I promise you, by not giving this a try, you are missing on a delightful and healthy treat. This carrot and beetroot salad can actually stand alone as a complete lunch or dinner.
Why you should make this salad a regular, if not daily part of your diet?
- Detoxify the body and are a natural colon cleanser
- Are a natural energy buster & help in improving immunity
- Lower cholesterol & BP
- Contain polysaccharides for digestive tract health
- Help with anemia by improving the red cells production
- Are loaded with vitamins and minerals: vitamin A, B, C, Beta-carotene, Folate, Calcium, Zinc, Iron, Potassium, Chlorine, Manganese, Phosphorus, Chopper, Magnesium.
And the list can go on and on…
Secondly, it is a rapid preparation, only 10 minutes or less.
- 1 1/2 cup of grated fresh beets (from about 2 medium sized peeled beets)
- 1 cups of grated carrots or shreds made with the peeler (1 carrot but you could use 2 if you like)
- 2 Tbsp raw pumpkin seeds
- 2 Tbsp raw sunflower seeds
- Small pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp of Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil or Organic Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoons Honey
- 2 Tbsp sliced fresh mint leaves (optional)
- Wash, peel and grate the beets and carrots.
- Place the grated beets and carrots in a salad dish. Add the pumpkin and sunflower seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk together salt, balsamic vinegar, olive oil and honey until smooth.
- Drizzle over the salad, then gently fold until the beets and carrots are lightly coated. Let sit for 10-15 min before serving, either chilled or at room temperature, for the dressing to soak into the beets and carrots.
- Optional but yummy, right before serving, stir in a few sliced fresh mint leaves.
- Whenever possible try to use organic ingredients in all your cooking.